Middle Years LanguagesAdd to Favourites
Students in Years 7-9 can experience a range of linguistic and cultural experiences through our curricular and co-curricular Languages programs across French, German, Japanese, Chinese (Mandarin) and Latin.
Language is a core element in cognitive growth. It assists the development of critical thinking skills and is integral to both individual and cultural identity, while supporting the development of intercultural understanding. We aim to educate our students to be international communicators and global thinkers. This is why every student must study at least one foreign language until the end of Year 9 and is encouraged to continue a language through to Year 12.
In Year 7, students must select two languages and study each language for two periods a week. The Modern Language Courses focus on Making Linguistic Connections (MLC) and Moving Between Cultures (MBC).
In Years 8 and 9, students must continue studying at least one language but are encouraged to continue with two languages until the end of Year 9.
All teachers differentiate teaching and learning experiences to cater for a range of learning needs. The Languages course resources are either e-books or online activities for effective and meaningful consolidation and revision.
In addition to the curriculum, Ravenswood provides a range of other opportunities for students to enhance their language skills and cultural awareness including:
- Alliance Française NSW French Challenge and Language Competitions
- Cultural excursions and visitors
- Diplôme d’Etudes en Langue Française (DELF Club)
- International exchange to France, Germany, Japan and China
- Language Conversation Classes
- National Latin and National Mythology exams
- Online educational resources such as Language Perfect
- Overseas tours to New Caledonia, China, Japan and Europe
- Year 7 International Fashion Parade and Christmas Market
- Year 8 Languages Day
- Year 8 Latin and French Camps
- Years 5-10 Chinese Poetry Recital